Tool Required VB-FIX Required
- Converter drainback
- Delayed engagement
- Lube failures
Poor converter line feed pressure caused by worn-out PR bores leads to delayed engagements as well as pump bushing and lube failure.
The Sonnax valve kit offers increased stability while lube regulation improves converter feed at low RPM and high throttle conditions.
Oversized Lube Regulated Pressure Regulator Valve Kit
Original valve must match 78 & later design
In Chrysler A727, A904, 42-46-47RH/RE units (RWD 78-later with TCC), the cooler/converter charge circuit is not opened until the pressure regulator valve moves far enough to flow oil. The industry fix of drilling a small orifice between line pressure and cooler circuit ensures flow to the converter/lube circuit, but the hole also increases the converter drainback problem because ATF can drain when the engine is turned off. Sonnax offers a standard-size pressure regulator valve, 22771A-02K, that resolves these problems, but this valve will not repair severely worn valve bodies. In such cases, Sonnax recommends installing oversized pressure regulator valve kit 22771A-07K for increased stability and improved lube regulation.
- Oversized valve is designed with an internal check valve that allows oil to flow into the converter charge circuit as soon as the vehicle is started
- Internal valve shuts down once line pressure reaches normal levels
- With engine off, the internal check valve prevents fluid from draining out through the orifice, reducing converter drainback
This pressure regulator valve and manual valve 22771-09 can be used independently, but are of greatest benefit when used as a pair.
Also available, Sonnax line pressure plug and sleeve kit 22229-01K can be used to replace all OE sizes and has a reduced plug to increase reverse boost.
- Patent No. 6,712,726
- Required Tool
- Related Parts
- You need this if...
- Related Tech Resources
- Valve Body Layout
You need this if...
The regulator valve fails a wet air test at the port indicated. To test, place a small amount of oil into the orificed line port. Follow with low air pressure.
- If a line-to-lube hole has been drilled in the PR valve circuit, it should be plugged to reduce converter drainback.
- Inspect the line pressure plug and sleeve. Leakage here will result in poor line pressure control.
- Inspect the TV checkball separator plate seat. Leakage here may produce stacked shifts and/or no kickdown.
Click here to view PDF if instructions do not appear below.
Valve Body Layouts
Related Tech Articles