Sonnax Career Opportunities
Enjoy a rewarding career and relaxing quality of life in beautiful Southern Vermont.
Recognized as one of the Best Places to Work in Vermont and recipient of the Governor's Worksite Wellness Award, Sonnax is a leading supplier to the automotive aftermarket. We design, manufacture, test and distribute a wide variety of innovative, high quality products used to remanufacture torque converters, rebuild automatic transmissions, upgrade driveshafts and protect the driveline from over-torque damage.
Sonnax is one of the fastest growing companies in the state of Vermont. Our name has become synonymous with exceptional service, cutting-edge designs, technical knowledge and customer dedication. Join an exciting front-line team focused on developing and delivering the best products in the industry, a team whose imagination, hard work and results are rewarded.
The Design Engineer is responsible for product development and design with a strong emphasis on design for manufacturability. The successful candidate will be part of a cross-functional team that designs, tests and reviews new drivetrain components for the automotive aftermarket. The Design Engineer will participate in continuous improvement of products and processes as well as activities focused on our business priorities of safety, quality, and delivery (timeliness).
- Participates in a cross-functional team that designs, tests and reviews new products to ensure they meet the requirements of both the Business Case and Development Plan.
- Analyzes product or equipment specifications and performance requirements to determine designs, which can be produced by existing manufacturing or processing facilities and methods.
- Provides technical information concerning design, manufacturing or processing techniques, materials, properties, and process advantages and limitations which affect long range manufacturing planning.
- Independently determines and selects proper materials, heat treatments, coatings, tolerances and dimensioning requirements for design and manufacturing processes of product.
- Has the basic understanding and knowledge in the use of Quality Assurance inspection equipment and reading of data and reports.
- Confers with research personnel to clarify or resolve problems and develops design.
- Performs or directs preparation of product design layouts and detailed drawing specifications. Will also perform CAD activities and will ensure drawing specifications are complete and in accordance with Sonnax engineering standards.
- Ability to interpret and create detailed prints, and engineering drawings.
- Compiles and analyzes design, test, and research data to establish performance standards for newly designed or modified product.
- Operates required machinery and equipment in a safe manner. Follows established safety rules, and established tool and instrument control procedures.
- Analyzes test data and reports to determine if design meets functional and performance specifications.
- Confers with research and other engineering personnel and prepares design modifications as required.
- Applies methods and processes used to manufacture precision metal parts.
- Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering (BSME) or Mechanical Engineering Technology Bachelor of Science (METBS) is preferred. Associates Degree or equivalent in Mechanical, Electromechanical Engineering or related field and 1-3 years related work experience or internships.
- Proficiency in 3D Solid Works and PDM Works.
- Experience in Product Life Cycle Management System, Proficiency in MS Office suite with emphasis on Outlook, Word and Excel.
- Experience with geometric dimensioning and tolerancing (GDT), gear and spline design, shaft design, as well as knowledge with manufacturing processes including aluminum die castings, steel and aluminum forgings, plastic molded components, and CNC machined components.
- Knowledge of the mechanical properties of materials and processes such as heat treatment, cryogenic treatment and the effects on strength and durability are a plus.
- Knowledge of automotive technology related to the drivetrain is desired but not required.
- Knowledge of Quality Management Systems ISO9001, problem solving, continuous improvement preferred.
- Excellent communication and report writing skills, attention to detail.
- Ability to work well in a cross-functional team environment.
- Ability to wear required PPE for lab area, including safety shoes and eye protection.